"Le Quattro Stagioni" usually are referred to Pizza's toppings or Antonio Vivaldi music or the Seasons in the calendar year.
Today, we are not referring to those but something that if you are reading this, it is because you are passionate or stunned by the nature of this sport. Cycling. Why?
Long time ago, when I was younger the sport of cycling was practiced during the months of fair weather,but nowadays it is a 24 hours a day for 365 days a year.
On a daily basis few or more millions of cyclist are hitting the roads with their second girlfriends or second wives, I might get in trouble here, but I am only talking about the bikes. The subject of this blog it is a results of the recents bike accidents have been happening here in London in the last few months,which some caused death to cyclists.
We need to remind ourselves that we are the most vulnerable within the road users.We are like a little ant trying to cross the Africa's savana during migration. Therefore, every time you click on the cleats you need to stop thinking about racing along the roads to get better segment or to show off.
You need to start loving yourself. Respect the road users, don't shout abusive words to drivers. Let's make sure us, cyclists start respecting the others even if we have not got the cycle lanes.
You could be a fixie,hipster,roadie ,BMX,MTB etc. etc. makes no difference.We are all the same sharing the passion of the 2 wheels. Let's start to be polite and obey the rules.
Last week I sat down on a main junction in central London with a traffic light.My task was to observe the behaviour of 100 cyclists using the junction. Just the length of drinking an espresso and chatting to a friend for less the an hour to come to those results.
20% Cyclist respect the traffic lights and waited in the cycles box.The rest 80% were just abysmal.
We want to be respect, and be protected. The only one can do it, is ourselves.
We,then cycle all year in any weather conditions,therefore experience should be gained.
There is no need to listen to music while cycling, if you want to look cool do it of the road. Remember hearing is one of the most important safety aspects.
I am not here to teach you rocket science,and tell you of like your parents. But sometimes we take the most obvious point granted.Therefore you need someone to remind you that.
Let's make cycling part of our culture, it is important that we do behave well on the roads.
Remember if you use the jungle rule, someone weaker than you will be affected by your inappropriate behaviour. Sometimes cyclists abuse drivers.Those drivers abused by cyclists will abuse a fellow cyclist.
Be safe.Enjoy your passion.